PDM Professional QuickStart FAQs
- What features are included?
- Does PDM Professional QuickStart include any special or different software?
- How much expertise has been infused into the PDM Professional QuickStart?
- Does the PDM Professional QuickStart include an Engineering Change Order Process?
- How long does the PDM Professional QuickStart take?
- Does the system rely on CAL or Processor (PSL) licenses?
- How many users does PDM Professional QuickStart support?
- How do we handle Legacy Data?
- What are the hardware and system requirements?
- What are the benefits of PDM Professional QuickStart?
- What are the benefits of implementing SOLIDWORKS PDM using the QuickStart 2.0 Program?
- Can PDM Professional QuickStart be scaled and expanded?
- Secure Vault (data is stored in a central archive called a file vault, which can be regularly backed up and shared by the entire product team)
- Categories (used to group and organize files and items, such as sending them to the correct workflow)
- Check In (you check in files after editing to make them available to users with appropriate rights)
- Check Out (checking out a file gives you exclusive rights to edit the file until it’s checked it back in)
- Contains (lists files referenced by the selected file)
- Convert Task (automated PDF creation from SOLIDWORKS Drawings)
- Data Cards (used to enter descriptive information or metadata into your files - different cards are set up for different file types)
- Engineering Change Order Process (developed by Symmetry - includes workflow, ECO document, and custom PDM Add-In)
- Enterprise Templates (used to quickly create ECO documents and Product or Project folder structures)
- Legacy Data Migration Assistance (developed by Symmetry – custom workflow and tools will be provided to help migrate legacy data into your vault)
- Notifications (PDM's built-in database message system - alternatively, messages can be delivered via email)
- Revision Control [A file that reaches a certain state (for example, an assembly is approved for manufacturing) can be assigned a new revision number]
- Search Cards (a type of data card used to search your vault - almost any type of criteria can be defined to search by)
- Serial Numbers (automated part numbering and file naming)
- SOLIDWORKS Drawing Template (one of your SOLIDWORKS drawing templates will be configured to work with PDM)
- SOLIDWORKS Toolbox and Standard Libraries (Symmetry will set up the appropriate infrastructure for you to manage the Toolbox and Standard Libraries in PDM)
- Symmetry Custom Add-Ins (Data Import Tool, File Rename Tool, PDF Merge Tool, and Rev Set Tool)
- Users and Groups (user accounts are used to access the vault – groups are used to manage users)
- Version Control (each time you modify or check in a file, a new version is created – different from Revision Control)
- Viewing (files can be previewed in the Preview Tab - previews are generated by the viewer associated with the file type)
- Where Used (lists files the selected file is referenced in)
- Workflow Process (represents internal workflows practiced in your company - A workflow can control the life cycle of a document, project, or process by defining what files a user or group can access)
2. Does the PDM Professional QuickStart include any special or different software?
Yes, PDM Professional QuickStart comes equipped with custom add-ins that will help you in your Product Data Management journey.
- Data Import Tool (helpful when importing legacy data - used to bring in large assemblies with many of references)
- File Rename Tool (allows users to select a group of files and rename them all with new part numbers from an PDM Serial Number)
- PDF Merge Tool (allows you to create a merged PDF of all associated drawings in an assembly - awesome for batch printing top level assembly structures with a single click)
- Rev Set Tool (helpful when importing legacy data – sets PDM revision to the current revision of the legacy file)
3. How much expertise has been infused into the PDM Professional QuickStart?
Symmetry Solutions has years of knowledge and experience into this NEW PDM Professional QuickStart. Our engineers, seasoned in the ways of PDM, have helped countless companies streamline their product data management process. Symmetry Solutions has seen all the pitfalls of managing data without a PDM system. We listened to our customers’ requests for an all-encompassing data management solution that will meet the needs of most companies. Symmetry Solutions answered back with this new PDM Professional QuickStart designed to get you up and running as soon as possible with every facet of PDM in mind.
4. Does PDM Professional QuickStart include an Engineering Change Order Process?
Yes, developed by Symmetry Solutions, this includes a specialized workflow, ECO document, and custom PDM Add-In. This is the most extensible ECO you have ever seen. If you currently do not have an ECO process in place, this is the complete solution you’ve been looking for. If you already have an ECO process, our QuickStart ECO can be easily adopted to your current one.
5. How long does PDM Professional QuickStart take?
PDM Professional QuickStart is design to get you up to speed in 2 days! This includes software installation, configuration, and training. Keep in mind that this is if all the prerequisites have been met. Prerequisites include hardware infrastructure, full network access with cooperation from the Information Technology Department.
6. Does the system rely on CAL or Processor (PSL) licenses?
PDM Professional QuickStart is sold with either individual (CAL) or processor (PSL) licenses.
7. How many users does PDM Professional QuickStart support?
PDM Professional QuickStart can be used on most any size company and installation as a first phase of implementation.
8. How do we handle Legacy Data?
Symmetry Solutions provides custom developed tools that help companies migrate data on their own. Bulk data loading or import of existing data will not be included as part of the PDM Professional QuickStart. The PDM Professional QuickStart starts with an empty vault and training on how to easily drag and drop existing data on demand into the secure vault. This allows companies to use PDM for new projects and to enable them to drag in data on-demand.
For companies that require extensive legacy data migration from another tool, such as PDM, PLM or ERP, a separate Statement of Work (SOW) can be prepared to define the scope and cost of that project.
9. What are the hardware and system requirements?
The requirements for the PDM Professional QuickStart are the same as those for any SOLIDWORKS PDM installation.
- Database File Server (SQL): To house the data used to search for documents.
- Archive File Server (Documents): To store documents in a central Vault. This may be shared with Database Server.
- Clients (End-User Experience): Used to access the secure vault using CAD Editor, Contributor or Viewer Access client.
10. What are the benefits of PDM Professional QuickStart?
The benefits of the PDM Professional QuickStart are that by following a proven methodology for PDM implementation and observing industry standards and best practices, the time associated with the initial implementation, learning curve and support time are all greatly reduced.
- Secure Product Data
- Faster and easier searching for SOLIDWORKS files
- Increased Re-Use of Existing Designs
- Increased throughput in Engineering
- Better Communication between departments
- Eliminate overwriting of data
- Reduce Engineering Change Orders but allow you to easily create and track them when a change is required. This is done with the awesome ECO document and process provided by Symmetry.
- Peace of mind
12. Can PDM Professional QuickStart be scaled and expanded?
Yes, starting from a proven and stable platform that will accrue a fast Return on Investment (ROI), the PDM Professional QuickStart is fully customizable and flexible to provide more functionality over time.
By allowing the customer to start with a simple and proven system, they can experience the benefits of PDM while learning what features and capabilities they would like to take full advantage of in future implementation phases.